Monday, April 9, 2007

Not Just Life, But A Relationship

The celebration of the resurrection of Jesus is about triumph, a resounding victory of life over death! That's what most people think of when Easter is mentioned, and that would be correct. However, many don't know that it is about a restored relationship too.

I knew someone who said that with most religions we obtain heaven (a joyful afterlife) by being good people in this life. As life progresses, if you do more good things than bad things, don't murder or take advantage of others, help people in need, and are considerate of the environment ( "one" with the universe and others), you are headed to eternal joy and peace with God. Christianity, on the other hand, says we have no chance (on our own).

The Bible says in the book of Romans (chapter 3) that "no one is righteous-not even one. No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God. All have turned away; all have become useless. No one does good, not a single one." "Their talk is foul, like stench from an open grave. Their tongues are filled with lies." "Snake venom drips from their lips." "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness." "They rush to commit murder. Destruction and misery always follow them. They don't know where to find peace." "They have no fear of God at all." Whew! Can it be more plain?

In chapter 5 of Romans it says "When Adam sinned (Old Testament book of Genesis, chapter 3), sin entered the world. Adam's sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.""Yes Adam's sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ's one act of righteousness brings A RIGHT RELATIONSHIP with God and a new LIFE for everyone." "So, just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God's wonderful grace rules instead, giving us RIGHT STANDING with God and resulting in eternal LIFE through Jesus Christ our Lord." Here's the hope, God's grace (undeserved favor).

Apologist Ravi Zacharias said, "Jesus didn't come into this world to make bad people good, He came to make dead people live." The Bible, in the book of John, chapter 6, Jesus said, "I am the bread of life." "For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal LIFE."The book of Ephesians in the New Testament of the Bible says, "Once you were dead because of your many sins." "By our very nature we were subject to God's anger." "But God is so rich in mercy, and loved us so much, that even though we were DEAD because of our sins, he gave us LIFE when he raised Christ from the dead." This is his gift to us. HIS Son, HIS gift, HIS work, HIS action, HIS love, HIS, HIS, HIS!!!!! He did it because we can't! WOW!!

I hope this gives you something to think about. Check it out, search for yourself and find the life and a restored relationship with the Creator, God. God bless y'all real good.

6 comments:

ballofdirt said...

I'm going to beat you (opps that wasn't loving). I left you a comment last night, did you get it before you shut down the last blog?

Knucklehead said...

The following is a comment left by ballodirt at my old blog address.-knucklehead


"Great to hear the Truth!! Do you think what Jesus has done for us goes a step further, with regard to being dead because of our sin? For example, what about free will? When we make a confession of faith, is that of free will or from God (so that He has all the glory)? Example, if you had a dead person laying on the floor in your living room, how would you get him to move? Would said dead person move if you just called him, or would you drag him accross the room. I beleive that if God had not intervened I would still be very lost (Dead to my sin). And as I look back I have been dragged across the room by a power greater than me. God is an awsome God!!!"

Knucklehead said...

Ecclesia sent the following comment:

"Awesome post! Today, our sermon came from the resurrection story in Luke 24. We've been spending the last few weeks talking about elements and this week we talked about rock/stone. I was reminded about Christ being the living stone and how He needs to be the "cornerstone" in our lives (1 Peter 2:4-7). Perhaps the stone was physcially removed from the tomb so the women could go in, so we could go in, to see that death/sin didn't win. The barrier between us and God was destroyed. We were challenged with some hard questions today. What is the foundation of your life? Creator or created? Kingdom of God or American Dream? Eternal life or middle class life? Is Christ the cornerstone in our lives or the capstone, which causes men to stumble? Our real life is found in the resurrected life! Isaiah 26:4 says, "Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal" Jesus came to offer us life! What more could we possibly ask for?"

Knucklehead said...

Okay ballofdirt, I'm going to tell you what I believe Scripture is saying but I will tell you up front that many don't agree with me.
I believe we lost our free will after the fall in Genesis. Romans 3:11 says, "There is none who seeks after God". Jesus speaking to the disciples in John 15:16 says, "You did not choose Me, but I chose you..." Also look at Ephesians 1:4, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, and 1 Peter 2:9.
God chose Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Elizabeth, Mary, and Saul (Paul). Jesus chose the twelve.
John 6:44 says, "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent me draws him..."
I don't think that fallen man even wants God. However, that can't stop God. Anyway that man comes to faith is only through God's intervention. He provided the way through His Son and He calls us by His Spirit through His Word. I don't even want to give man credit by saying we "accept Him".
1 Timothy 2:3,4 says, "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved, and to come to the knowlege of the truth." So I want to encourage ALL who read this that God wants YOU to be saved too! He's knocking at the door of your heart!

Knucklehead said...

Thanks Ecclesia. Can you expound on what you mean by Creator or created, Kingdom of God or American dream, eternal life or middle-class life? Thanks.

ecclesia said...

In Luke 25:5 the men said to the women, "Why do you look for the living among the dead?" They were looking for life among death. In this world, many look for life in the wrong things, sex, drugs, alcohol, material wealth, etc. For many, these things are the foundation of their lives. In Luke 24, it talks about how the stone was removed from the tomb. The word "stone" in used many times in the Bible. 1 Peter 2:4-7 sums up some of the words in Isaiah. "As you come to him - the living Stone - rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him - you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says, 'See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.' Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone,' and 'A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.' They stumble because they disobey the message - which is also what they were destined for." Then it goes on to talk about how we are "chosen people, a royal priesthood," so yes we are chosen by God, like you said. Now, if the think about a stone, it's a good solid foundation for building things on. The question is, what is the foundation of your life? Creator or created. Is God our foundation or the things of this world? Kingdom of God or American dream? Are we working to build the Kingdom of God and work for His purpose or are working hard to live the american dream? Eternal life or middle-class life? Is our goal eternal life in heaven or do we just want to meet the standard of living here on earth? Jesus should be our rock? Psalm 18:1-3 says, "I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of my praise, and I am saved from my enemies." I guess, in so many words, what I'm trying to say is Jesus needs to be the center of our lives, or our foundation, otherwise he's going to the capstone that causes us to stumble and lead us to condemnation. Jesus came to give us life, which is far better than anything this world could ever offer us because all the things the world has to offer isn't permanent, but Jesus is eternal. I hope that clarifies. Sorry if I rambled.