Wednesday, May 9, 2007

God's Calling

Did I miss my calling? Some members of my family and some friends would answer a resounding "YES!" to that question. I love them and I appreciate what they're saying. I too have have asked that same question of myself. There are times I would have answered yes but in reality the answer is no. I am right where I need to be.

I have a wonderful ministry. I minister to my wife and other family members. I am a part of a small group and I participate in a Sunday morning "Bible and Bagel Fellowship". Twice a month on Sunday evening I worship the Lord, pray, and fellowship with other members of the body.

I minister in other places. I am a missionary to an auto parts warehouse during the week. I get payed to be there! I don't have to raise my own support! I've had a lot of opportunities to share the gospel. I simply live out my faith in front of my fellow workers. Do they notice a difference? Do they ask questions? Have conversations about Jesus taken place? Yes!

I also minister to friends outside the church. We break bread together, we laugh, share life experiences, and occasionally (dare I say it) enjoy a malt beverage together. I am able to share Scriptures when they apply to my life or theirs. They are always receptive. We have built a good relationship and they know I care.

I minister to others too. I've had opportunity to pray for the needs of my neighbors. They have asked my wife and me several times to intercede on their behalf. My interactions with restaurant workers, retail workers, and other "service" workers have opened doors to minister. FOLKS THAT I ENCOUNTER EVERY DAY!!!

Two weeks ago my sister and I met with a friend who was in town for a seminar. We talked about what was going on in our lives. We talked about people we know that are "struggling" with their calling. His conclusion, and we agreed, is that we are to "live our life". There are many opportunities in our day to day relationships to show the love of Christ, to share the Word with others. That conversation was confirmed the other night when another friend approached me with a similar comment.


Once in a while God confirms my calling when I am told, "You are the nicest person I know", or "Thanks for the phone call, I needed it", "You should start a church", or "You missed your calling". Those comments encourage me. They tell me that I am right where I need to be.

This would all be vain babbling if I didn't include Scripture. (Matthew chapters 5,6, and 7), (Micah 6:8), (James 2:14-26), (1 Peter 3:15, 16). I know there are many more. Take time to share the verses that come to your mind, minister to me. God bless y'all real good.

2 comments:

Rudy Baga said...

I’m reminded of 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 “This should be your ambition: to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we commanded you before. As a result, people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others to meet your financial needs.”

It seems that this passage is often ignored or downplayed in favor of more glamorous or exciting passages such as martyrdom and groundbreaking missionary journeys. And of course the Church wouldn’t be where it is today without these, but it seems that the vast majority of Christians are called to a more simple life, and not all to do the "big" things. This dovetails very nicely with the lifestyle evangelism that you describe Knucklehead as well as the relationship that it seems that God has called us to.

More could be said, and maybe some of this qualified, but I’m sure others will do this for me…

Kez said...

"'The world passeth away and the lust thereof, but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.' It is only in obeying God that we may know Him. Obedience, if it is a good reason for dying, is just as good a reason for living. I knew that there was no other answer for me. The "whys" that screamed themselves at me day and night could not be silenced, but I could live with them if I simply went on and did the next thing.

Jim and I had been working among the Quichua Indians in a place called Shandia. I returned to Shandia. I did the things that presented themselves to me as duties each day, and in the doing of these I learned to know God a little better. To obey is to know. To know is to be at peace. I had no idea what the future might hold. It seemed impossible that I could continue the entire management of the Quichua station alone, but there was no use concerning myself with the next day."

This is an exerpt from The Savage My Kinsman" by Elisabeth Elliot. This all takes place right after she found out her husband had been martyred. She goes on to say that she cleared weeds, planted pineapples and bananas, cleared jungle back from the trail, mended fences, thatched roofs, finished a school house, and went on doing the ordinary work of living and raising a child. None of these things sound like heavenly tasks. Yet it was in the living out of her life that she came to know God better. I remember reading in another book of hers "How to Keep a Quiet Heart", that her mother never even entertained the possibility that she had a ministry outside of her home.

"For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings." (Hos. 6:6) Jesus quotes this in Mt. 9:13, and then tells them to go figure out what it means. It is so much easier to sacrifice your marriage and your children than it is to obey God in the mundane daily job of living. We want to be the Billy Graham's and the James Dobson's. However, I was told by a friend that it was James Dobson's father that gave up a thriving ministry because his son was in trouble. Because of his obedience, God has reached millions. Maybe our job is to be the parent or even the Grandparent of the one who will be the next Billy Graham.