Friday, June 29, 2007

"Let's Play Bible!"

I called a friend of mine the other night and invited myself over to his house. His wife and my wife were going to attend a meeting one evening that week and I thought it would be a good time to get together and "play Bible".

I like to use that term for Bible study. Think about it. It's a lot of fun playing games. We play cards, we play ball, and we play music. Those things are fun, entertaining! It's fun studying the Scriptures too, so why not call it playing Bible!

There really aren't any rules. It's good to play with a few people so you can hear different thoughts but not too many that the game becomes too chaotic, with lots of rabbit trails. It would also be good to have a few different translations and maybe a reference book or two. The most important resource is the Holy Spirit.

When I arrived at my friend's house, we just sat down and started talking. We discussed "repentance" because that's what my Wednesday group had discussed a couple of weeks ago. It was so much fun. I had a great time. I like the dialogue, the back and forth, anticipating what the Spirit will reveal next.

When the women returned from the meeting, I suggested to my friend that we get together and "play" again. Hey! Maybe next time the ladies can play too!. The "game" is fun for everyone, male or female, young or old, mature or new believer.

Proverbs 9:9,10 says, "Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous and they will learn even more. Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgement." (NLT)

Acts 2:42 says, "And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers." (RSV)

Romans 15:14 says, "I myself am satisfied about you, my brethren, that you yourselves are are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to instruct one another." (RSV)

The growth that results from playing Bible are priceless. From my evenings with the Gerbils and challenges from the German, to Bible and Bagel Fellowship, the Wednesday group, and Ballofdirt, I am growing by leaps and bounds. "You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17, The Message Remix Bible)

I challenge you to gather with a friend, friends, or family and play Bible. It's a "game" that will impact your life. God bless y'all real good.

1 comment:

Rudy Baga said...

On one level seeing the word “play” associated with “Bible” elicits images of playing at something. When someone is not serious they play at it. Over the years I’ve seen people play at being a Christian. They have played at reading the Bible. They have played at obeying it. All of this implies that they did not take it seriously. I know Knucklehead DID NOT have this in mind.

I was surprised when I checked out the definition of “play”. The online Merriam Webster dictionary had 7 separate definitions with sub points under many of the 7. Dictionary.com had 37 definitions with numerous synonyms.

In our current day we take our “play” seriously. So I guess to “play “ Bible does convey something a little different than it might sound at first blush. Plus, of course, it is clear that Knucklehead’s clear admonition is to make the Bible a part of your life; even to make it a game. Maybe that is why I like the game “Bible Trivia”?

To take one of the definitions from dictionary.com: “To occupy oneself in amusement, sport, or other recreation” I would emphasize the idea of "occupying oneself" with the Bible as Moses said, “And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again. Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”

What better way to teach them to your children than to “Play Bible”?!