Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Confession

I have a confession. Last year I left a church because of a difference I had with the leadership. I won't go into details but the end result was that I left the congregation. After leaving, it was my hope that their ministry would fail. Their failing would somehow vindicate me. I'm talking about a congregation that my wife and some good friends still serve. How selfish is that? Every once in a while I still think it's all about me. Please forgive me.

How can we show the love of God to the world when we can't even love each other. There are some that will say to me, "I can love them but I don't have to like them."
Do I really need to address that?

1Corinthians 13: 4-8 says, "Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on it's own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails."

It's okay to have disagreements. Paul was involved in a few of them. It's how we handle them that makes us different from the others. Don't think I'm saying that the church should wink at sin to maintain unity. We are to correct each other.

All that being said, we need to practice patience. 2 Peter talks about God's patience, not wanting any to perish. We see his patience with Israel. Paul tells us to be patient with the weaker brother, Rom. 15:1.

A friend of mine likes to remind me that we are a work in progress. It is God who does the work and he has to be the One to complete it. God bless y'all real good.

2 comments:

Kez said...

I couldn't agree more!

We are the body of Christ - that means that no one part is any more important than another. My desires are not more important, my will, my way, my needs, my wants....they all get in the way of my relationship with Christ and my relationship with others. We are called to have the "mind of Christ". The I Corinthians 13 passage is a great place to start. Have you ever just meditated on that scripture and what it really means? It blows my mind. I don't think that way. I need a renewed mind (Romans 12:1-2).

My work place, which is a Christian home-school tutorial, is struggling through some issues. It has become divisive. There is going to be a split (in my opinion, no different than a church split). It is painful. The body is being ripped apart. As I have been watching - very much from a distance, I have wondered what kind of a witness this will all end up being. I often wonder if non-believers will see it and say "see, it doesn't work". What would happen if we really took the "lowest place" as Christ calls us to?

ballofdirt said...

Wow, our God is an awsome God. I thank you both for your honesty. I have not left the church but my heart has not been right, my attitude has been really @?$!"')/- at times. I have to constantly, and intentionally force myself to remember it is not about me!!!!! It is about God and Him being glorified, and him getting all glory. I am reminded of the account of the exodus of the sons of Isreal from Egypt.
Moses thought, and actually argued with God about His plan. The isrealites complained and and wanted to stay in Egypt. Not to mention how God handled Pharaoh. All this to show God's power and glory to all the nations. I guess my point is, are we as beleivers focused on our Lord and Master, are we glorifying Him in all we do? As for me I fall way short of the mark, and through the Holy Spirit God has been dealing with my stiff neck and hard heart. I can not change the church or the people at work. Only God has the power to do that kind of supernatural thing. However am I a good and faithful servent? Am I praying for others? Am I seeking His face His will? Am I seeking after Jesus Christ with such a passion that the people around me want to know what I am doing. Oh Lord I pray that your consuming fire would set me on fire, and that men would come and watch me burn!
That is a fearful thing to pray, but if it would bring glory to God may it be so!
I am so blessed to see God working in all of you, for He who has begun a good work in you will complete it.
One other scripture that comes mind is 2 Thess. 1:3
May we always thank You, O God, for other believers and pray that their faith would grow more and more, and that their love for each other would increase.