Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Call To Suffer

"For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name." Acts 9:16. These were the Lord's words to Annanias about Saul. (Also called Paul, Acts 13:9) How would you like that to be your call to ministry?

Peter, who denied Jesus three times (John 18) also received some words from Jesus. He was told, "I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God. Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.” (John 21:18, 19) The death He was referring to was crucifixion.

Paul tells of his sufferings in 2 Corinthians 11:24-30, "Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm. Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger? If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am."

1 Peter 4:12,13 says, "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."

Peter was crucified around AD 64 when Nero was the emperor of Rome. Paul would eventually be beheaded in Rome.

The mother of disciples James and John asks that her sons sit at Jesus' right and left hands. Jesus' reply is, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”
They said to Him, “We are able.” So He said to them, “You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.” (Matthew 20:21-23)

They did drink the cup as Jesus said. James was beheaded in 44 A.D. John was imprisoned on the island of Patmos and later died in Ephesus.

Mark 8:34-37 says, "When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Through all these trials there was great joy too! "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." (James 1:2-4)

In Acts 5, the apostles are arrested and brought before the council. They are told not to teach in the name of Jesus and beaten. What is their response? Verse 41 says, "Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name."

Paul writes in Phillipians 4:1, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say Rejoice." With all the suffering you would think there wouldn't be much joy or rejoicing. The Christian faith is a paradox, the last shall be first, the least will be the greatest, those that lose their lives will save it, and rejoice in your suffering.

"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours." (John 15:18-20)

In Hebrews 11 in speaking of Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham, the author writes, "These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city."

As Christians we cannot expect to be treated fairly in this world. We don't belong here. We are strangers and aliens. As servants, we are not greater than our Master. We desire a better country, a heavenly one.

I once heard a preacher say that the Church prospers where there's persecution. God knows what He's doing. How else can the gospel spread from an upper room in Jerusalem to the four corners of the world. The call has been made. Would you be willing to suffer for the sake of the gospel? To die? AM I??!!

God bless y'all real good.

No comments: