Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Meeting Place Doesn't Manifest God's Kingdom

I entered the house church verses traditional church debate about two or three years ago. My wife attends a traditional church. I attend a fellowship that meets in a house on Sunday morning.

For those of you that might be concerned because my wife and I don't worship at the same place on Sunday morning, don't be. We have a small group that meets in our home on Wednesday nights. On occasional Sunday afternoons we meet with other believers for singing, prayer, Scripture reading, and fellowship. We are "not forsaking our own assembling together".

My two Sunday meetings are not defined. By that I mean they are less structured. Wednesday night is a little more structured. We have a Bible study, either a book of the Bible or a topical study. The folks that attend the Wednesday meeting have a pretty good idea what to expect.

The different meetings mentioned above are a part of God's kingdom. "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them." Mat.18:20.

Because of my situation, I feel I have more freedom to serve where I'm needed. I can help a friend with music ministry at his church. I can fill in for a youth pastor who's on vacation at another church. Guess what? When I'm doing those things, I get to fellowship with other members of God's kingdom!

Others are called to serve one particular assembly. My wife fits that category. She's a treasurer and board member. She's made a commitment to serve the Lord at the church she attends. Hey! We're all a part of God's kingdom!

Luke 9:49,50 says, "John answered, 'Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow us.' But Jesus said to him, 'Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you."

The kingdom is manifest when people that are "for Him" gather. Where they gather is not important. It can be in a cathedral or a cafeteria, in a building or at a bus stop. I am really excited by what the Lord has been showing me concerning His kingdom! God bless y'all real good.

3 comments:

Rudy Baga said...

KH
Romans 11:33-36 says it well

“Oh, how great are God's riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! For who can know the LORD's thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice? And who has given him so much that he needs to pay it back? For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen.”

Here Paul is overwhelmed with God’s plan and methods. As Paul understood it afresh he burst out in praise.

Today we confuse our structures and traditions with God’s plan. Though many are happy with Sunday morning church services, many (possibly many more) long for more than that tradition has become or it allows.

Your observation about the Kingdom of God being wherever Jesus’ followers are together should also cause great celebration. The intersection of the K of God in heaven with us on earth is the intersection of the miraculous with the ordinary and mundane. It is where God takes finite humans and indwelt by His Spirit accomplishes His will on earth.

This should cause us to pray a prayer similar to Paul’s

Right on!

Rudy

ecclesia said...

Thanks, Knucklehead. This has been rather encouraging. I know we've talked about this before. I feel as though we too often try to put people in boxes. It's like the Jason Upton teaching we hear. We want to make a form out of everything and it has to be that way or your relationship with God is just not good. Why do we do that to each other? I try to keep coming back to, look at the fruits of that person. That is what we judge by, not by where we choose to attend church and the format it takes on.
My church meets every other Sunday, and at first I wished we could meet every week. If we ever did, I might like that too, but I enjoy having those alternate Sundays available just for my family or for whatever. Those alternate Sundays are open for prayer at the home where we meet, so it's nice to have that option as well.
I just keep asking myself, "Why do we get so caught up in this stuff, who's right, who's wrong about where we gather or what form that takes? It's almost a waste of time.
Just as encouragement to you, I can see the fruits of it where you are. You are definitely growing and maturing. That is obvious!

Unknown said...

I don't have a problem preliminarily with your presentation. Have had many wonderful meetings that weren't formal. Only questions would be: are you growing spiritually and: are there any unresolved relationship issues lurking under the surface? More and more people seem to be heading in the informal direction. I'm open. :) Candace